Many people are frequently asking about using Picasa on a multi-computer environment:
- How to use Picasa on multiple computers?
- How to share Picasa between multiple users accross the local network?
- Can I share my Picasa database over my network?
- Picasa over a network. Does it possible?
The short answer: Not now. All the computers on your network should detect changes made to your picture files but not changes that involve only the data base. Your star for example is written to the picasa.ini file, not a picture file. You should be able the sync everything except your user albums by rebuilding the data base on your computers or just rescan an individual folder. You can find some work around on the Internet, but please check out before our Daminion Server, the multi-user photo management software.
Daminion is a Picasa alternative to manage your photos on multiple computers. Ideal for home users and small teams.
Multiple users can view, annotate, and edit your digital assets quickly and without risk of losing information; your digital library will be protected from irreparable damage, which is not the case when using a file-server based solution.
- Windows 2000, XP, 2003 or 2008 Server, Vista, 7, 8
- Pentium III - 1 GHz
- 1 GB RAM
- Local Network (100Mb)
Daminion Server can run on common Windows platforms like Windows XP Standard or Windows 7 Business. It is not necessary to buy an expensive Windows Server.
Some of the Benefits of Daminion
Network Based Picasa Alternative
- A true multi-user photo management solution that protects your content from damage, unlike File-Servers based systems
- Affordable price for small teams
- None of the endless monthly fees demanded by hosted solutions. You pay once.
- No need to hire a system administrator, and no specialist knowledge necessary to install and administer the Daminion Server.
- Much more secure than web-solutions - all your content remains inside your firewall
- Restricted access to content by User Roles
- Ability to work with huge size media archives (up to 500K-1M files per catalog)
- Version Control (Check in/out). Avoid work being redone because you’ve lost your original versions!
- Powered by free, reliable and widely adopted PostgreSQL database engine
Broad media format support
Import more than 100 formats including:
- Photos, including camera RAW format, transparent PNG and JPEG 2000
- Video, including H.264 codec and MKV format
- Adobe formats including PSD, DNG, PDF, InDesign and Illustrator
- Limited support for Autodesk DWG and DXF
- Audio formats
Quickly classify and retrieve your assets
- Super simple and clean interface
- Focused on cataloguing (no built-in fancy image editors and publishing tools) with excellent bridge to external photo editors like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign.
- Multiple catalogs (both local and shared) can be opened simultaneously like the pages of modern web-browsers.
- Quickly classify and filter your content by tags using AND, OR operations
- Supports complex hierarchical tags (keywords, locations, etc.) with no limitation on nesting levels
Using hierarchical tags you can describe your content more precisely and as result spend far less time locating your important files.
- Quick, advanced and saved searches with support for AND, OR operations
- Automatically sync image annotations (tags) with metadata (IPTC/XMP/MWG)
- Each tag is mapped into a set of metadata. For example, Place Tag is mapped into eight metadata fields:
During importation, the Place Tag will be filled out from information extracted from the IPTC/XMP.
- Daminion can even write metadata into Camera RAW formats, including CR2, NEF, DNG, ARW, MRW, PEF, without creating xmp sidecar files…
- Unlike other content organizational tools, Daminion will correctly write/read hierarchical keywords from/to IPTC/XMP. So your hierarchical structure will not lose data when you export or move your files. Learn more about how Daminion supports metadata
- Using the Properties panel you can not only see all the media file information but you can also display complex hierarchical tags. Any changes you make can be undone until you click, Save.
Integration with external system
- Integration via XMP Metadata is the best way to exchange information between different systems. With XMP, you won’t have to depend on different API versions of various other systems. Daminion will read/write metadata in many formats including image, camera RAW, vector, video, audio and PDF files.
- Open and edit assets in external applications
Export with optimization on demand
- Optimize images for sending by email or publishing on the Web
- Optimize and then email images via your favorite email client (with MAPI support) or via your Gmail (or Google Apps) account
- Daminion API is available to extend Daminion’s export capabilities by developing your own export extension
Daminion – The Network Based Picasa Alternative. Ideal for Home Users and Small Teams
Technical Director in Grupo XXI de Comunicación Empresarial
"I really like Daminion's philosophy and simplicity without unnecessary particularities, so keep the hard work. I feel it will be a standard in the DAM environments someday."