• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

User is offline Frank_H 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:49 PM (#1)

Geotag older photos

I have started geotagging some older photos. Some of these photos are 30-40 years old and some places are no longer there. Some have been torn down and some have been replaced with newer structures.

I don't know if there a proper way to do this but I am looking for some guidance.

What I have been doing is tagging the photos with the coordinates of the structures and in the location with in Daminion, I am using the name of the building, etc from the time the photo was taken.

For example, I went to a football game in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 2011 at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. That stadium was torn down and rebuilt and now it is known as the U.S. Bank Stadium. In Daminion, I have entered the Location as Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome.

Any thoughts on how I am proceeding?

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

User is offline Uwe 

• Platinum Member
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:48 AM (#2)

Hello Frank,
I prefer to use the name of the object (Places tag) at the moment the photo was taken. Going this way one has a historical guide line, in this case of a location.
E.g. There are photos taken in Dresden 1945 (Deutsches Reich->Sachsen->Dresden->Zwinger), 1987 (DDR->Dresden->Dresden->Zwinger) and 2013 (Deutschland->Sachsen->Dresden->Zwinger)
All photos can to be assigned to the same Collection Tag.
Regards, Uwe

User is offline Frank_H 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:10 PM (#3)

View PostUwe, on 12 May 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

Hello Frank,
I prefer to use the name of the object (Places tag) at the moment the photo was taken. Going this way one has a historical guide line, in this case of a location.
E.g. There are photos taken in Dresden 1945 (Deutsches Reich->Sachsen->Dresden->Zwinger), 1987 (DDR->Dresden->Dresden->Zwinger) and 2013 (Deutschland->Sachsen->Dresden->Zwinger)
All photos can to be assigned to the same Collection Tag.
Regards, Uwe

Yes, I think the best solution is to name the place the same as what it was when the photo was taken.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

User is offline Rene 

• Platinum Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:59 PM (#4)

I would do it as follows:

use the proper Geotags (Longitude / Latitude ) and in the place tag enter the proper name etc.
Server-Information: HP Data Vault X311 - Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 -
Intel Atom D510 Dual Core 1.6GHz - 4GB-RAM - Daminion Server

User is offline Wilfried 

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:46 AM (#5)

Unfortunately Daminion does not support synonyms for the place tag, which would be most logical way to handle that in my opinion.

I found a similar situation: For cities where you made many pictures at many different locations (e.g. Paris, Rome ...) the structure of the place tag country/state/city/location might not be sufficient. So I started to use the keyword tag to describe the location more specifically. It also allows me to describe the position of the photographer, as well as the object. A synonym for the keywords is able to provide for historical names of the same place.
Wilfried

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users