Daminion Software, a company specializing in digital asset management (DAM) solutions, unveils its low-cost, local network based photo management software – Daminion Server. Multiple users can view, annotate, and edit digital assets simultaneously, without the risk of losing information. Daminion Standalone version is free, while the server version, for small teams and home users, is inexpensive. A special limited offer allows you to get Daminion Server for 5 users for just $1121 US. The offer is open until 15 Feb 2012.
January 19, 2012
You can probably name dozens of different photo management software products, including Google Picasa, Adobe Lightroom, and Apple Apperture. Today there is no problem selecting decent photo management software for personal use from the wide range of products available.
However, single-user photo organizers fall short when you need shared access to your media archive library between multiple users on different computers. Although there are many articles on the Internet that explain how to share standalone photo management tools using shared locations or via Dropbox, none of the hacks guarantees affordable performance and controlled access to the media archive, or protection of your assets from damage caused by simultaneous users attempting to write to the same database file. This is because multi-user capabilities have never been part of the original architecture of these products.
Yes, there are a bunch of enterprise level DAM systems, but these are beyond the budgets of most small teams, and especially home users. Hosted solutions require endless monthly fees, are dependent on your Internet connection, and your content will be outside your firewall.
Daminion beta version has been available on the market since April 2010, in testing mode. Multiple users can view, annotate, and edit digital assets simultaneously, without the risk of losing information; your digital library is protected from irreparable damage.
Daminion supports both local and shared catalogs, which can be opened in separate tabs simultaneously like the pages in modern web browsers.
Daminion Standalone version is free, while the server version is inexpensively priced for small teams and home users. A special limited offer means you can get Daminion Server with 5 users for just $1121 US. The offer is open until 15 Feb 2012.
Some of the Benefits of Daminion
- True, multi-user image management that protects your content from damage, unlike File-Server based systems
- Affordable price for small teams
- Restricted access to content by User Roles
- Version Control (Check in/out) prevents you from losing your original files and keeps track of how the files are accessed and what changes are made
- Support for huge media archives (up to 500K-1M files per catalog)
- Import more than 100 formats, including Camera RAW formats, Video formats (MKV, H.264), transparent PNG, Adobe formats: DNG, PDF, InDesign, Illustrator. Limited support for Autodesk DWG and DXF.
- Focused on cataloguing without fancy built-in image editors or publishing tools, but providing an excellent bridge for interacting with external photo applications.
- Supports complex hierarchical tags (keywords, locations, etc.) with no limitation on nesting levels
- Automatically sync image annotations (tags) with metadata (IPTC/XMP/MWG), including writing the metadata to Camera RAW files without sidecar files.
Visit Daminion’s website to download the beta version, and to access community forums and blogs, whitepapers and case studies, downloads and technical support.
Daminion is compatible with Windows XP, 2003 or 2008 Server, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. Daminion Server can run on a common Windows platform like Windows XP Standard or Windows 7 Business. It is not necessary to buy an expensive Windows Server.
The program also requires at least 500MB of free disk space, a Pentium III with 1.0 GHz at the very minimum and at least 1GB of RAM. All currently supported versions of Daminion work on both 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows.
Daminion can be launched on a Mac using Parallels Desktop.
About Daminion Software
Daminion Software has been working on the digital photo management software market since 1999 and specializes in digital asset management software (DAM) solutions.
The company’s flagship product, Daminion, is a low-cost DAM for small teams. The software is the product of experience gained over many years in the digital media management industry; PicaJet.com has been around since 1999. The company is also the creator of PicaJet Photo Manager and RoboImport, digital photo management solutions for photographers and digital camera owners.