Store data inside the files
Metadata is itemized information about an asset’s unique content. The safest place to backup your data is in Metadata; it’s also the best way of exchanging data with content editors or web-services.
Daminion automatically synchronizes database information with EXIF, IPTC, XMP, MWG, as well as format-specific metadata in a wide range of other media files including PDF and Camera RAW formats.
Daminion stores all asset information in tags. Examples of tags are: Author, Keywords, File size, Media format, People, Place, etc.
Mapping Tags to Metadata
Each tag is mapped into a set of metadata. For example, the Place Tag is mapped into eight metadata fields:
- IPTC:Country, IPTC: State, IPTC:City, IPTC:Location
- XMP:Country, XMP: State, XMP:City, XMP:Location
Any changes to the Place Tag are reflected in the metadata. During import, the Place Tag will be filled out from information extracted from the IPTC/XMP.
Why should I care about Metadata?
- Having your assets completely described and saved with metadata information will mean less time hunting and more time working on your current projects.
- Metadata prevents the loss of information should your DAM database be damaged. Daminion supports the reading/writing of metadata from EXIF/IPTC/XMP and format-specific metadata in numerous media formats like PDF or Camera RAW.
- Metadata is the best way to integrate your application with third-party systems such as content-creation or web-publishing tools. Metadata is a language Daminion can use to interact with any XMP-supported tools like Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
Empower your team now