Daminion Server and the Digital Asset Management market are growing in leaps and bounds. You might ask yourself whether you need a DAM system? After that, what gives DAM such an advantage over file-sharing services and traditional file servers? To sum up, here are my top ten benefits of using Daminion Digital Asset Management software.
1. Time-saving, robust feature set.
A digital asset management system is all about the feature set. When we work with digital assets daily, we face challenges. Therefore, we need an elegant, practical, robust solution. Daminion server is a universal tool for managing your media.
- Helps you resize or reformat files (for instance, export files to many different image formats or PDF).
- Use shared collections to collaborate, send files for approval and showcase work in progress.
- Different view modes and a customizable UI show a full-sized image as well as metadata, maps, et cetera.
- Full user access control: define custom user access levels and grant or deny features.
- Instantly see and explore version history.
- Efficient 3D Assets Management: Organize, categorize, and easily access 3D models, enhancing workflows and team collaboration in 3D-intensive fields.
2. Productive, intuitive interface.
Easy-to-learn, intuitive user interfaces ensure a successful rollout. Digital asset management is all about convenience, ease of access, and a low learning curve. We have developed a product that is easy and enjoyable to use. You can customize the Daminion interface to show as little or as much as you require. Both novice and expert users will find it useful out of the box.
- Low-resolution thumbnails are generated to ensure that search results load quickly. Even when the files you are browsing are large.
- Switch between different view modes to see enlargements and more details.
- Right-click on any thumbnail to see advanced options, edit and check out options, metadata operations, or export options.
- Bulk editing operations enable you to edit more than one item and assign more than one aspect of metadata in a single action.
3. Encourages and supports tagging workflow.
Tagging evolves a digital library from a file server to a digital asset management system. This evolution, above all, provides access to the features and processes that map real-world environments. Individual organizations have very diverse requirements and use cases. One aspect, however, that is universal is the need for descriptive metadata.
Set your metadata requirements in the web client.
The Daminion web client will help you to avoid storing untagged files in the catalog. You can define a minimum set of required metadata tags; all newly imported assets will register in the required tags area, not available until adequately tagged.
Use saved searches in the desktop client.
4. Desktop integration.
From just storing files on a shared drive to having a fully functional DAM involves a transition. This transition can be disruptive and painful. Users are used to working on shared drives (from their desktop). They will expect DAM systems to function in the same manner. Daminion integrates entirely into the desktop environment. Drag and drop files from Daminion into a Word document or an email client. Copy and paste assets from Daminion to your desktop or any other application.
Daminion server also integrates with Microsoft Active Directory, inheriting file permissions and access to directories. Your IT department can configure an explicit set of file and access permissions that combine your Daminion experience with your Microsoft Windows desktop.
5. Share and publish, instantly.
By far the most popular use of digital asset management systems is easy, fast file sharing. Emailing high-resolution or large files overload email servers and complicate backup. Snail mail or courier services can transfer hard drives, CD or DVD-ROM and USB flash drives if you have days to deliver.
Manageable, convenient and fast file sharing make users more productive. Solve all of these issues by using a centralised server.
- Create shared collections of files and share clickable links to access those assets.
- Eliminate large attachments that congest emails servers.
- There is no more waiting for physical media to arrive by mail or courier service.
- Sharing files from a central repository will avoid unnecessary duplication.
- Share files publicly or protect them with a password.
- Users can access the original assets (if configured) or download different formats.
6. Metadata search engine.
Metadata is more than just keywords and categories. In Daminion server you can define your metadata without limits and use all aspects of the existing schema to build fine-tuned specific searches.
In practice, this means you will have the freedom to store, search and present your assets in the way that best suits your organisation and specific requirements. You can create any number of fields, not limited to only text but including fractions, integers, time and currency values. Specify whether multiple tags can be assigned to the same file, if they can be hierarchical or if they have a limited number of options available for assignment.
At the core Daminion server is fully integrated with industry standard metadata, supporting schemas like EXIF, XMP, IPTC among others. Search in fields that range from the location on disk, media format, ratings, colour labels, peoples, places and events to keywords, categories, projects, clients, camera model, lens, ISO to name but a few.
Build custom searches with any aspect of metadata, or use the quick search to look for one or more search terms in a specific area of metadata.
7. Daminion is under active development and supported.
Daminion is currently under active development with new features rolling out in every release. See what is coming up in new versions by viewing the Daminion roadmap here.
As Daminion updates, you get access to a non-stop stream of new features, innovations, exciting developments and improvements. Your Daminion subscription includes upgrades to new releases. In other words you will never need to replace or reinstall your system or pay extra for new releases.
The Daminion team aims to provide support within 24 hours from logging a ticket. In my experience, requests for assistance have been prompt, useful and solution driven. Daminion does remote access sessions to tweak systems. They troubleshoot installations, upgrades and are extremely helpful in addition to focus on the customer experience.
8. Affordable and easy to deploy.
Owning your own digital asset management system does not need to be a complex IT project. As a result we have made Daminion as simple as getting software off-the-shelf. You can run Daminion server in house, in the cloud or even leave the hosting up to us. Daminion will be launching our DAM as a cloud service soon.
Daminion installs in under 20 minutes and above all, easy to configure. We will even install Daminion for you remotely and walk you through using the system in a demo.
Download a seven-day trial version or schedule an online demo here.
Daminion is available as an annual subscription ($1995 for five users) with discounts as you increase the number of seats in your user licence.
9. Control: scrap data silos and avoid redundant content.
The days of needing complex storage solutions spread over different technologies in different locations are gone! Daminion server is a centralised, continuously available solution. Searching in one place saves time, resources and above all frustration.
All it takes is one user to copy and paste an asset to turn it into a duplicate. Daminion will help you to identify these duplicates and keep them to a required minimum. Eliminating duplicates will force your users to use content efficiently. In other words, a duplicate free DAM is easy-to-use. It is free from hundreds of duplicate files in search results that use disc space.
10. Digital asset management is here to stay.
In conclusion, DAM systems save time and money. They are now commonplace in many organisation of all sizes. Subsequently, you have to ask yourself: “When are we going to get on board?” Most importantly, the sooner you get on board, the sooner you can catch up with the backlog.
See how Daminion can help you develop your content management strategy.